The Office of Social Concerns at Saint Elizabeth Parish grew out of the first parish council which was initiated in 1972 under the direction of the pastor, Father James Aaron. Among the four committees of the council was the Social Commission which became known as the Apostolate Committee. Their first work was the visitation of the shut-ins. Eventually, the committee members assisted in the delivery of plants to the homebound during the holiday season. The group that volunteered to do this ministry was originally called the Social Service Group and later changed to the Bethany Group (so named after Martha and Mary of Bethany, known to us from the gospels).
In June 1983, the Director of Social Concerns became a staff position in response to the need for a mission of service accepting the Christian responsibility of the church to the parish and the community at large. The director addresses social and community needs through direct service or referrals, tangible assistance and action for change.
The Office of Social Concerns is located in Saint Pius X Hall and is open Wednesday and Thursday, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and Friday from 8:00 a. m. to 2:00 p. m. For more information regarding the services provided to the Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Parish, please contact the Coordinator of Social Concerns, Karen Michaux at 412-207-1655.
The parish outreach of the Office of Social Concerns includes:
- Oversee of the Advent Tree, including setting up, assisting needy families, and distribution of the gifts.
- Works in conjunction with the Cloverleaf food bank to help parishioners in need as well as in our community.
- Coordinates the Apostolate program with the 8th graders at Saint Elizabeth Elementary School.
- Schedules all meetings for the parish for Pius X Hall.
- Coordinates the distribution of Holy Communion to all of those in need, who are homebound, or are ill.
- Works closely with the ministries of the Ladies of Charity.
- Delivers Christmas and Easter plants to all of the homebound of the parish.
- Visiting the sick and homebound and ill of the parish.
- Coordinating the annual Anointing of the Sick Mass and luncheon.
- Distribution of monthly notes and cards to the homebound.